Sep 24, 2011

Re-Creating Deliciousness

Lately, I've been craving Luke's Lobster.
Unfortunately, I live outside of the city and can't always make it there when I want to. So I scoured the internet to see if I could find an alternative to keep my cravings I check. I knew that the Shrimp Roll would be the perfect one to replicate. It was simple, fast, and delicious. 


Luckily, New York Magazine posted a lovely recipe that was fantastic! I didn't have the Maine Shrimp, but it still came out delicious.

Luke’s Shrimp Roll (courtesy of NYMag)
3 lbs. fresh Maine shrimp (I used the tiny shrimp from a shrimp cocktail...they were precooked and not too expensive)
1/4 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 lb. unsalted butter
4 hot-dog buns
Juice of 1/4 lemon
4 tsp. mayonnaise

In a large pot, bring 2 quarts or so of salted water to a boil. 
(1) Add shrimp in batches and cook for 30 seconds. 
(2) Twist off heads and peel. Reserve peeled shrimp in refrigerator or over ice. (You can save the heads and shells to make a broth.) I did none of this. Since the shrimp were already cooked, I just rinsed them off and patted them dry. Mix spices in small bowl and reserve. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Brush the sides of the buns with the melted butter, and toast over medium heat on grill pan or griddle until golden brown. Stir lemon juice into the remaining melted butter and reserve. Spread the insides of each toasted bun with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise. 
(3) Arrange equal amounts of shrimp in each bun. Drizzle the melted-butter-lemon mixture over the shrimp. Sprinkle with seasoning mixture to taste. Serves 4. Adapted from Luke’s Lobster.

It was fantastic. I loved it so much; I made it again with crab. I used snow crab and had to peel the shells myself, but it was worth it. I would do it again. Actually, I WILL do it again.

If you haven't been to Luke's, I encourage you to GO!!! It will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment