Oct 24, 2010

Sweet Golden Cornbread

My first official FOOD post is delicious. Since it's the time of year for corn-based things, I decided that this Sweet Golden Cornbread, which is what I seem to be calling it, was perfect for this time of year. 


not the best photo, but it was delicious




I made my first batch well over a year ago, and since then, I have changed it a few times and finally found a good way to make it just the way I want it ( my own opinion, obviously ); it is more cake than the typical cornbread I've had over the years. It's pretty much great all day long.  In the picture, I had my piece for breakfast (note the orange juice in the back ), but I also had it with fried fish ( inspired by Their Eyes Were Watching God )




Sweet Golden Cornbread recipe


1 c all purpose flour
1 c cornmeal ( i used cornmeal mix, it was all i had, but i got the texture i wanted)
2  tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 c white sugar
1 egg
1 c milk
1/3 c oil


Preheat Oven to 400 F


Mix the wet ingredients ( egg, milk, oil, sugar ) in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients ( flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt ).


Combine both bowls and mix for about 15 seconds, and let it set for a few minutes.  ( Thanks, Alton Brown! )


Rub you pan(s) lightly with butter or oil, like you would with any cake ( or use cupcake liners if you are making muffins for easy clean up ).


Bake for 20 minutes, checking for your desired color, or until toothpick or knife comes out clean.


Enjoy! I put butter on mine...butter makes things better.

No comments:

Post a Comment