Oct 27, 2010

Creamy Dreamy ( Shrimp ) and Grits









I must admit, I have never been a fan of grits. I didn't grow up eating them and some of my least favorite breakfast memories were surrounded by watery grits loaded with sugar. It wasn't until I was a sophomore in college, living in Atlanta, GA, that I discovered that grits were nothing like that! The Flying Biscuit in Atlanta is one of the city's best places to eat. During college, I went at least once a month, sometimes more if my family came to visit just to have a taste of The Creamy Dreamy Grits. I had them with breakfast, I had them with lunch, and I replaced a side at dinner to make room for grits. 

This recipe came directly from the restaurant after so many fans wanted to know how to replicate this dish and I credit them for the success that I had making it.

To spice up my version, I decided to add sautéed shrimp, garlic, and smoked sausage; it's a nice twist to a very southern dish...



Creamy Dreamy Grits

6 c water
2 c half-and-half
3 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
2 c quick grits
1 c grated white cheddar cheese
4 tbsp unsalted butter, cubed

In a saucepan, combine water, half-and-half, salt and white pepper and bring to a boil. Slowly pour grits into boiling water while whisking the entire time. (Watch out for splattering; mixture is very hot.) Reduce to low heat and continue to whisk often, until thick and completely smooth, about 10 minutes.

Add cheese and stir gently until cheese melts. Whisk again to combine. Turn heat off and allow grits to rest 5 minutes. Add butter and stir until completely smooth, silky and shiny.



Sautéed Shrimp

1 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 c smoked turkey sausage, cubed
2 - 3 tbsn olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
red bell pepper ( optional )
green bell pepper ( optional )
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper

Rinse shrimp and pat them dry ( I cut them in half, just because ).  

In a large sauté pan, cook the smoked sausage until browned; remove the sausage and in the oil, add the shrimp. Cook until the shrimp turn pink. Add the garlic, onion, peppers, and the sausage into the pan. Continue to cook for another few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spoon grits into a bowl and top with shrimp. 

Enjoy...please, really, enjoy it...

No comments:

Post a Comment