Dec 26, 2010

Hand Over That Pie - The Pumpkin Kind

Happy Holidays!

The holidays are a great reason to make lots of food and eat all you want; which is exactly what i did, and will continue to do. And nothing says holiday more than pie. I know apple pie is the tradition, but I didn't have any apples, but I did have pumpkin pie  filling! Improvisation is key when there is a blizzard coming and hungry little kids running around and these  Mini Pumpkin Pies were just what I (and my family) needed for the end of the night. I didn't use an exact recipe because each person likes their pie their own way. The concept is simple enough, but I'll detail it

Pumpkin Hand Pies
Ingredients
2 packages pie crust (I used Pillsbury, fast and easy)
1 can (16 oz) of pumpkin pie filling
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 up brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsn sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, foil, or silpat.

In a bowl, mix 1/2 of the can of pumpkin pie filling, spices and vanilla extract and place in refrigerator. Roll out pie dough onto a floured surface . Using a round, 3 inch cookie cutter, press  an make the tops and bottoms of the pie. I was able to get 7 rounds on each crust, then i kneaded the dough scraps and get an additional 4. Place half of the pie rounds on the baking sheet and put them in the refrigerator to chill for 5 minutes.

Remove them from the fridge, on each bottom, brush with the egg. Using a small ice ream scoop, place one scoop in the center of the round. Top with other round and use a fork to seal the edges. Vent the top so the pie doesn't explode and brush the top with sugar.

Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and delicious. Cool for a couple of minutes and enjoy. I had mine with some eggnog. wonderful!

*The ingredients are guesses because I didn't actually measure out the spices because I had to alter it to taste the way I wanted. I say start with the recipe and go from there to make it as sweet as you want it.*

No comments:

Post a Comment